Living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important across all borders and ages. This is especially important for senior citizens, not to mention keeping an active lifestyle. Eating the right food and regular exercise would keep you healthy and keep you away from chronic illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. With a healthy lifestyle, senior citizens can stay physically and mentally sharp and can avoid depression. Maintaining a healthy weight would also be easy for senior citizens if they follow and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
As a senior citizen, your needs are now different from you were younger. Here are the tips for you so you can start living a healthier life:
[read the review on 5 Important Health Supplements for Women]
- You should not avoid meals. Eating regular meals is an integral part of your healthy living. You have to maintain your metabolism, and you can do this by not skipping your meals. Skipping a meal would tell your body to take fatty food to sustain your activities.
- Eat fiber-rich diet. Fiber-rich foods include whole-grain bread, vegetables, beans, and fruits. Eating fiber-rich foods means that you are less susceptible to heart disease and diabetes with fiber-rich food.
- Low-fat diet. As you age, your body requires less fat. If you continue eating fatty foods, the possibility of you becoming obese is very high.
- Bone-friendly diet. Your bones, especially now that you are in your senior years, need Calcium and Vitamin D more than ever. You can get these vitamins and mineral from a daily serving of dairy products. You can also get the same minerals from soy-based beverages.
- As you age, your body would have difficulty to absorb vitamin B12. To help your body cope with this, you need to eat cereals rich with vitamin B12. You can also take supplements that contain vitamin B12.
- Be a smart snack eater. You may need to cut down your unhealthy snacking habit and stay away from junk foods with high calorie and sugar content. Instead, you can keep dried fruit, crackers, or peanut butter on hand to keep your appetite under control, while keeping yourself healthy.
- Keep yourself hydrated. You may feel the need of water is lesser than usual, but this does not mean that you have to cut back your water intake. It is very important that you take the right amount of water and stay hydrated. If you don’t enjoy drinking water, you can instead drink tea, skim milk, or coffee.
Now that you know what food to eat, you can go to the supermarket, choose the right food for you, and restock your fridge. Eating the right food, combined with exercise can keep your mind, body sharp. discover more…